Monday, July 6, 2009

Quote for the day: "No news is no news" Jimmy Webb

91.1 miles today. Not quite the century, but I'll take it. I climbed 2 tall peaks in western Arizona and finished 5 miles before the Continental Divide close to Silver Springs , New Mexico where we are staying tonight. The Big Lue Pass was 6295 feet (I started at 3000 feet). Monster switchbacks were the theme of the road. It was very difficult. I stopped a few times and Cindy was close by with the fluids. We went up and down around Mule Creek in New Mexico. A lush area around so much desert. In the mid afternoon I did have the longest "roller coaster ride" you could imagine going up and down the hills of grassland in western NM. Favorable winds for most of the way. The only flat was a blowout when I hit a cattle gap in the seam.

Tomorrow might be the toughest day. Emory Pass is scheduled at 8228 feet with alot of climbing before and after. Please pray that we can locate a set of car keys we have misplaced. Cindy is pretty upset, but we'll be fine. We have other keys. Also, please pray for my mother in Jackson, Mississippi who was taken to the hospital for observation. She is 96.

See a few new pix. My son Josh surprised me on the road in Indio when we came through. Also, I am holding a piece of the dreaded "tire wire" on I-10. A shot of some of the desert beauty we have seen. Finally, 2 quarts of PowerBar electrolyte goes mighty well after a long climb. So long!

4 comments:

  1. Jimmy.
    Hang in there. Man what a trip!!
    Keep those tires pumped.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jimmy and Cindy. Greetings from MS. This is Kevin Smira posting. So glad to see that you are doing well. I am moving to Kansas with the family for a new job and wanted to say that we were thinking of you. RIde hard...too bad you wont be making it through KS as I would air up the tires in the Orbea and join you...

    BTW, how is Aunt Virginia? I didn't know she was in the hospital until mom told me last night.

    Kevin and Amanda Smira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello from ENGLAND! This is from Dan and Karen. YOU can do it! You CAN do it! You can DO it! You can do IT!
    We are truly amazed at your energy and perserverence. I hope to be there to see you dip in the Atlantic ocean.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete