Thursday, July 23, 2009

Quote for the day: "Do what you can with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

122.5 miles was the total for today through Mississippi. We were pleased and somewhat surprised at the good roads we had for the most part. Most of what I biked I had not seen previously in my home state. The lush pastures around Poplarville with the cattle lazily grazing was a pleasing sight. The pine trees were abundant, so tall and thin. Again the heat did not kick in until later in the afternoon. I did not get too tired today.

You will note we have changed up the music. We're bringing back "The Small Town Southern Man" by Alan Jackson. This time I would like to dedicate it to the memory of my Uncle Horace Webb. Several of his family have been on this journey with us. Uncle Horace was the consummate "Small Town Southern Man". A hard working, but gentle man who lived out honor and dignity. He fought in World War II in the European Theater. My grandmother let me wear his old army jacket sometimes and I was so proud. He was a deacon in his church and loved Aunt Bea and his children so much. Also, we have Alabama with "Song on the South". We thought it appropriate being in Alabama as well as lead singer Randy Travis being an owner of Polled Hereford cattle that we include it.

8 comments:

  1. I can't tell you what it meant to read your blog today. What a moving tribute to Daddy. He was indeed a great southern gentleman. I know that he is very proud of you and your endeavors.

    You must feel that you are on the downhill side of your journey. Did the Mississippi air feel different? I loved the fight song!

    We're still with you every day.

    harry sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was looking at the map and it seems you only have a few days left. how exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy and Cindy,

    Like my sister, I can't tell you what it meant to read today's blog. I remember so vividly Webb Christmas get-togethers when you would follow Daddy around when you were 8 or 10 years old. He was a kind and gentle man who loved his family very much. I think of him so often.

    I pray for smooth "sailing" for the remainder of your trip!

    Your Mississippi cousin Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to show off the guns Dad, you're getting close!!

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jimmy - Mary Elizabeth and I just got through with a 3am feeding and read your blog. Enjoyed reading the kind words about Grandaddy. Hope today goes well. Still wishing you lots of luck! Also - stopped at Briarhill last week with the baby to see Aunt Virginia, but she was asleep. Will go back next week.
    Love,
    Beth's daughter Sara and family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jimmy & Cindy - I'm thankful you've gotten thru Mississippi & on the home stretch. After being with ya'll Wed. morning a while I see more the challenges, country roads w/out signs, bridges out, no cell phone service, etc. I was blessed to see ya'll's sense of purpose, resolve, determination. And I saw how very vital Cindy is to this amazing adventure! Love & lots of prayers, Beth Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimmy...

    Thank you for the words about Grandaddy. We miss him so much and its always good to be reminded of him. O hope the rest of your trip goes as well as it has so far...

    Kevin S

    ReplyDelete