Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Finishing Strong

Quote for the day: "A glad acceptance of hard things opens the way for glory." Elizabeth Elliot

We got a not so easy 97.3 miles through a variety of trails in east central Florida today to put us within 40 or so miles of striking distance of our goal of St. Augustine. We saw heavy traffic coming into Gainesville around 7:30 AM on the 2 lane county road, but then we got on the scenic Millhopper Road with the live oaks and Spanish moss making a cathedral type entrance way into Gainesville with beautiful homes and preserved habitat. As we entered the urban area, the route took us through a very biker friendly cross town street to the east side to get me to the 17 mile Gainesville-Hawthorne bike trail. This was a high point of the day as the trail was shady, quiet, and very scenic. A fawn hopped beside me no more than 20 feet away and bounded down the trail for several hundred feet with me. It was a great experience. Then I got on some rural roads that were OK for a while, but deteriorated as we got back into logging country. Rough shoulders yielded a flat at a bad time. The humidity was merciless. I have to say I experienced some of the best biker friendliness in Gainesville, but also the worst in a town that will remain nameless as I was able to dodge a can thrown at me from a jeep. I'm glad the guy had poor aim.

Cindy put some songs on the play list and says they are "heavy into grace". I told her that was just fine with me.

Tomorrow we go for the finish line. Stay with us through the very end.

4 comments:

  1. Jimmy and Cindy,

    AWESOME!!! I will certainly be celebrating with you tomorrow as you fought the good fight and finished the "course...ride"! Thanks for inspiring us with your humble spirit. I certainly hope we get to see you when you stop in Florence later.

    Congratulations and again, thanks!!

    Your Mississippi cousin Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journey has been an inspiration and a joy to watch from a far. Every time I checked on your progress I found myself grinning as I read your story and enjoyed your pictures. Thank you for sharing what you've seen along the way. I will celebrate your victory tomorrow morning with music and dancing! Thank you for your support of Teen Challenge.
    May God bless your trip home. Darlisa W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know Darlisa but ditto everything she said! We can't physically be at the finish line with you this morning but we are so there with you in spirit and in prayer! There will be great celebrating at the Ranch this morning, too! From everyone at Teen Challenge Faith Home Ranch... THANK YOU and GOD BLESS! We can't wait to welcome you home! Margo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy and Cindy.
    CONGRATULATIONS on a tremendous accomplishment!!! I have known for more than a few years that you could do anything you set your mind to. I remember the cover of Sports Illustrated with a former, famous quarterback from Alabama, that was your dart practice target in our home in Mississippi. Later, I saw a photo in your living room of you tackling him in a 49'ers-Jets game. Wow, what a feat!

    We've been without internet for several days, but today got to read the last 3 days. We regret so much, that we couldn't be there to witness your plunge into the Atlantic.
    We look forward to seeing you when you come back to Fla!

    Dan and Judy

    ReplyDelete