Sunday, May 24, 2009

200 continued

Armed with bullet proof (Kevlar lined) tires, 3 liters of gatorade, a map, and determined spirit, I headed out at daybreak on Saturday with the goal of riding 200 miles that day on my bicycle. After a similar start as on Friday with the tires still holding, I headed toward the windmills and the edge of the Altamont Hills. I could hear the power buzzing through the 500 kilo volt lines as I went under them. As I came around a hill I passed through rows of the turning windmills. Sights and sounds you don't always get to experience. There was a lot of wind, but the day was young. I made it through the windmills and on a little north toward Byron before turning back south. I felt pretty good about the 65 miles I had logged by then. However as I headed back, I faced a headwind from the south that I was not expecting. It slowed me down considerably and took until noon to get 100 miles. I headed west again toward I-5 and got on the California Aqua Duct at the Westley/I-5 exit. I made my way down to Patterson and then got back on the rural roads. I meandered down and through the south west side around Crows Landing, Newman, Gustine, and Santa Nella. I headed toward home for a little break. By this time it was 6:30 and I had 164 miles. With 36 miles to go, the straightest shot without headwinds was east, so I headed toward Snelling. With the race for daylight on, I still recognized the sound of the wind as it rustled through the row of cottonwood trees on Turlock Road. I got to Snelling and needed 4 more miles so I headed back. By this time it was almost dark. I could barely see the speedometer as it turned to 200. I kept going a few more minutes as Cindy showed up to rescue me. Mission accomplished. This was the most challenging physical experience of my life to date. Stay tuned!

1 comment: