Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Quote for the day: "Sacrifice. Work. Self-discipline. I teach these things and my boys don't forget them when they leave." Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

I had a nice ride today totalling 151 miles at an average of 17.0 mph while riding. That's probably my best overall performance in the preparation. Temperatures got to 100 in our area according to weather reports, but it didn't feel that hot to me. I did cramp at a couple of rest stops, but was able to continue without problems. That will be the last long ride before the trip begins next Tuesday. Both my brothers in North Florida report 100 degree Florida heat which is a whole different ball game.

Playing Southeastern Conference college football in the South in the early fall could be a challenge in the heat. My senior year at Mississippi State we were able to beat powerhouses Georgia and LSU. We were also able to have a big win over our arch rival, Ole Miss and we gave Florida all they wanted for 3 quarters before wilting in the "Swamp" in Gainesville. But we could do nothing with the team 75 miles to the east in Tuscaloosa, Alabama coached by a man named "Bear" Bryant. His presence on the field had to be worth a 2 touchdown advantage. They had some of their best years in the early 70's and we never got close the 3 years I played them. My sophomore year I faced consensus All-American Guard John "Hog" Hannah. He was very gracious after the easy win for Alabama having been quoted saying I beat him a couple of times out there. He went on to be an outstanding pro with the New England Patriots. I believe he is in the NFL Pro-Football Hall of Fame. He was one of the first 300 pound linemen that could really move.

No comments:

Post a Comment